MOSCOW: Russian radar detected two ballistic "objects" that were fired towards the eastern Mediterranean from the central part of the sea on Tuesday, state-run news agency RIA quoted the defense ministry as saying.
The defense ministry declined immediate comment to Reuters.
A ministry official had earlier criticized the United States for deploying warships in the Mediterranean close to Syria.
Meanwhile, the Russian embassy in Syria said there were no signs of a missile attack or explosions in Damascus on Tuesday after Russia detected the launch of two ballistic "objects" in the Mediterranean Sea, Itar-Tass news agency said.
Israel "not aware" of any east Mediterranean missile launch
Israel said it was unaware of any ballistic missile launch being conducted in the eastern Mediterranean. "We are not aware, at this time, of such an event having occurred," a military spokeswoman in Jerusalem said.
- India Violet Updated at: Tuesday, September 03, 2013